window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'G-YWVXG5STH8'); Exmouth Town march on after super second half show - East Devon Sport

Exmouth Town march on after super second half show

 Exmouth Town march on after super second half show

We LOVE following the exploits of Exmouth Town, but sometimes we go a tad too far – one such time was this very day when we ‘added’ a goal to the Town final score on Saturday – Town beat Brislington 3-0 with three second half goals – two from Jordan Harris and one from Dan Cullen – humble apologies to the great footballing Town scribe ‘Dibs’ – he reported the correct score – we didn’t and we have ticked off the editorial team here and told them to ‘do better’!

Exmouth Town’s rearranged fixture with Brislington, played as a result of the abandonment of the original fixture following a serious injury to a Brislington player, saw Town’s highest attendance of the season, 370, witness a game of contrasting halves; one that ended with Town banking three more Toolstation Western League Premier Division points courtesy of a 3-0 success, writes John Dibsdall.

The visitors came with a game plan to battle hard, fight for every ball and take every opportunity to slow the game down and went into the half time break with mission accomplished.

Indeed, the scoreline of 0-0 could have been 1-0 to Brislington as a speculative shot from fully forty yards hit the post, the only effort on goal by either side.

Queue a half-time team talk and a second performance full of the intensity missing from the first half as Town dominated possession and it became a question of when rather than if they would score.

Jordan Harris forced the ‘keeper into a decent save, Aarron Denny had an effort skim the crossbar and Josh Cann saw his shot well blocked. The goal finally arrived on sixty-eight minutes when a driven corner from Ben Steer was turned home by Dan Cullen. Two minutes later and a pinpoint cross from Denny was powerfully headed home by Harris. Prompted forward by a Man of the Match performance from Ethan Slater Town maintained the pressure, Harris again forcing a good save and Ace High inches away from converting another Denny cross. The third goal duly arrived on eighty-seven minutes with Harris latching on to a superb through ball from Cullen, holding off the defender before releasing a thunderbolt of a shot with the ‘keeper motionless.

The victory has seen Town climb to eighth in the table with games in hand over all the sides above them. And as the Town faithful say “staying under the radar”.

During the half time break a collection was made for Keiron Proctor, the Brislington player who suffered the serious leg injury and Town players also contributed to monies handed over. Presentations were also made by the Club to the three people who assisted Keiron on the pitch, Club physio Bob Chard, our senior player Tom Gardner and Emma Trout an Accident and Emergency Nurse at Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital who was present at the game.

Next up for Town is a trip this Saturday (November 27) to Cornish outfit Millbrook. Their recent results include home wins over Cadbury Heath and Ilfracombe. Town’s last visit to their Jenkins Park home saw a 5-2 victory thanks to a brace of goals each from Ace High and Karl Rickard and one from Dave Rowe.

Related post