This latest quiz is on sporting general knowledge and comprises of 10 questions with 34 points up for grabs covering sport since the start of 2021 – the answers are at the foot of the page. Good luck
- FOOTBALL – Bayern Munich lost for only the second time in the 2020/21 Bundesliga season on Friday (January 8) night. Who beat them? TWO points – for naming the team that beat them on Friday night and one for naming the only other team to win a league game this season against Bayern.
2. CRICKET – Who became number one in the Test rankings after a recent series win over Pakistan? Who was the leading wicket taker in the series and who was the leading run scorer? THREE points – one for naming the current number one Test nation, one for the top run scorer and one for the top wicket taker in the series.
3. FOOTBALL – Who was the former Manchester City Footballer who passed away in the first week of January; how old was he and what were the two nicknames he answered to? FOUR points; one for his name, one for his age and one each for the two nicknames.
4. DARTS – Who won the recent PDC World Darts Championship, who did he defeat in the final and what was the score? THREE points, one for naming the winner, one for naming the runner-up and one for the score in the final.
5. AMERICAN FOOTBALL – In the NFL play-offs super wildcard round that was played this weekend the three teams that made it through were Buccaneers, Bills and Rams. Name the full names of each of the three teams. THREE points – one for each correct team name.
6. RUGBY – Premiership Exeter suffered back-to-back defeats with loses to who since January 1? Name the two teams to sit above the Chiefs in the latest Premiership table (after the January 9 matches). FOUR points; one each for naming the two teams to defeat Exeter Chiefs in the first two games of 2021 and one each for naming the two teams to sit above the Chiefs in the latest Premiership table.
7. HORSE RACING – Secret Reprieve ridden by Adam Wedge won what big race at Chepstow on Saturday. For another point, in what month is the Cheltenham meeting traditionally held? TWO points – one for the correct name of the race and one for naming the month that the big Cheltenham meeting takes place in.
8. SNOOKER – The Bet Fred 2021 Masters begins this weekend and runs for the next seven days, culminating in a January 17 final. Two top names, one the world number one and the other the world number 14, cannot take part after testing positive for Covid-19. The tournament venue has had to be changed – where was it to have been played and where is it being played. FOUR points – one each for naming the two players and one point for naming where the tournament was to have been held and one for naming where is will be played to comply with coivid-19 regulations.
9. MOTOR RACING – The season-opening Grand Prix is at risk of being postponed because of Covid-19 restrictions, but in what country is the Grand Prix usually raced, in what City is the race track and in what month does the race generally take place? THREE points – one for the country, one for the city (for the track) and one for the month it takes place in.
10. FOOTBALL – In the 3rd Round of the FA Cup which Premier League clubs defeated: Bristol Rovers, Rotherham, QPR and Stoke City and, which teams defeated West Brom and Derby County. SIX points – one point for naming each of the six teams.
1.FOOTBALL – Brossia Monchengladbach defeated Bayern Munich 3-2 on Friday night. The only other team to defeat Bayern in the league this season are Hoffeneheim who beat them 4-1 on September 27. TWO points; one for Brossia Monchengladbach and one for Hoffenheim.
2. CRICKET – New Zealand beat Pakistan to become the world’s number one Test nation. The leading wicket taker in the series was Kyle Jamieson with 16 wickets and the top run scorer was Kane Williamson with 388 runs. THREE points; one for New Zealand, one for Kyle Jamieson and one for Kane Williamson.
3. FOOTBALL – Colin Bell passed away on January 5. He was 74 years of age and the two nicknames he had were “The King of the Kippax” (after Maine Road‘s Kippax Street terraced stand renowned for its singing) and Nijinsky (after the famous racehorse, due to his renowned stamina). FOUR points – one for his name, one for his age, and one each form correctly naming the two nicknames he was known by.
4. DARTS – Gerwyn Price won the PDC World Darts Championship beating Gary Anderson 7-3. THREE points; one for Price, one for Anderson and one for 7-3.
5. AMERICAN FOOTBALL – In the NFL play-offs super wildcard round: Buccaneers, Bills and Rams all made it through. The full team names are: Tampa Bay Buccaneers (who beat Washington Football Team 31-23); Buffalo Bills (who beat Indianapolis Colts 27-24 and Los Angeles Rams (who beat Seattle Seahawks 30-20). THREE points – one for the correct name of each of the three NFL play-off winning teams.
6. RUGBY – Exeter Chiefs lost 34-7 at Wasps on January 2 and 20-7 at home to Bristol. As at Saturday night (January 9), Exeter Chiefs sat third in the Premiership table with Bristol Bears top and Newcastle sit second. FOUR points – one each for naming the two teams to beat the Chiefs, Wasps and Bristol and then another two for saying Bristol and Newcastle sit above the Chiefs in the table after the January 9 matches.
7. HORSE RACING – Secret Reprieve ridden by Adam Wedge won the Welsh Grand National, raced at Chepstow on Saturday. The Cheltenham meeting is traditionally held in March. TWO points – one for the correct name of the race (The Welsh Grand National) and one for naming the month (March) that the big Cheltenham meeting takes place in.
8. SNOOKER – World number one Judd Trump and number 14 Jack Lisowski tested positive for coronavirus and will miss the Masters.. The tournament was due to have been played at Alexandra Palace but was moved to Milton Keynes to comply with covid regulations. FOUR points – one for Trump, one for Lisowski, one for Alexandra Palace and one for Milton Keynes.
9. MOTOR RACING – The first Grand Prix of the 2021 year is set to be the Australian Grand Prix, raced at Melbourne in March. THREE points; one for saying the Australian Grand Prix, one for saying Melbourne as the track it is raced on and one for saying March is traditionally the date for the Australian Grand Prix.
10. FOOTBALL – In the FA Cup third round the Premier Division teams that defeated Bristol Rovers, Rotherham, QPR and Stoke City were: Sheffield United (beat Bristol Rovers), Everton (beat Rotherham), Fulham (beat QPR) and Leicester City (beat Stoke City) while the two beat West Brom and derby were Blackpool (beat WBA) and Chorley (beat Derby County). SIX points – one for each correct team name.